7.13.2009

An Emerging Nutritionista




Buried somewhere deep within me, there is a nutritionista clawing her way out. She wants fiber(!) and lean protein(!) and abstinence from empty calories!!! She also desperately wants me to have an affair of the heart with cardio, and do yoga and pilates! Usually, I drown her cries for more fiber/less sugar with a nice big bowl of spagetti and meatballs, piled high with parmesan, finished with a pint of Häagen-Dazs.

Every now and then, she wins the battle and I dine on quinoa and fruit salad. (Fact: Quinoa rocks! Honest!) Recently, her voice has gotten stronger and I'm losing my will to ignore her pleas for a more healthy me. But, she hasn't completely won, not yet, at least.

I demand flavor!

I deserve convenience!

In an effort to satisfy my dueling desires, I paused as I passed the frozen food section on the organic aisle. Next thing I know, I'm at home, popping a Kashi frozen entree in the microwave. How did my meal fare, you ask?

Well, I sampled the Kashi Pesto Pasta Primavera: "Yellow Carrots, Sweet Red Peppers & Peas, Kashi™ 7 Whole Grain Penne Pasta, Basil Pesto Sauce with Shredded Parmesan Cheese." I'll admit that this wasn't the first time I've nibbled on Kashi. Their GoLean Blueberry Waffles really do have a "true flavor explosion." The TLC Oatmeal Dark Chocolate cookies are unbelievably tasty! Okay, the first bite tastes like a healthy cookie, but by the time you're done indulging, it really does taste yummy. (I can't say the same for the TLC Oatmeal Raisin Flax cookie. I think it's the flax that is a turn-off.)

Back to the Pesto Pasta Primavera.

Positives: The penne was al dente! The veggies were crisp! No soggy/microwave-meal texture or consistency!

Area of opportunity: I'm not sure how to say this delicately, because I try to be positive. But, in the interest of honest disclosure, the Pesta Pasta Primavera had a funky flavor.

To be more accurate, it had a strong flavor that I can't quite pinpoint, although it is reminiscent of fresh ginger root. (I don't see ginger root listed as an ingredient.) Now, if you care for fresh ginger root, you will really enjoy the flavor. I wasn't expecting that flavor, and I don't care for fresh ginger root one bit!

The quality of Kashi can't be beat, so I will definitely try other flavors. The Pesto Pasta Primavera is better than ordinary, but not quite noteworthy. Because of my other experiences with Kashi, I'm not going to turn my back on them. In fact, I already have the "Southwestern Style Chicken" on my shopping list.

If you have any recommendations, I'm all ears!



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated!

Related Posts with Thumbnails