6.27.2009

Time Capsule

A week of loss.

Gary Papa, the beloved sports anchor on 6ABC in Philadelphia, lost his battle with prostate cancer on June 19, 2009. Mr. Papa was 54 years old. I've never been a sports fan, but I have always enjoyed Gary Papa's broadcasts. He had an infectious enthusiasm for sports and Philadelphia, and an incomparable zest for life. The Foundation for Breast and Prostate Health's has renamed their annual Father's Day fundraiser the "Gary Papa Father's Day Prostate Run."

Ed McMahon, best known as Johnny Carson's sidekick on The Tonight Show, passed away on June 23, 2009 at the age of 86. In addition to The Tonight Show gig, McMahon was the host of Star Search, and introduced the world to a little girl named Britney Spears. A decorated war veteran, Ed McMahon served in the US Marine Corps as fighter pilot, flight instructor and test pilot during World War II. His service earned him six Air Medals.

Michael Jackson, pop music icon, died on June 25, 2009.


Farrah Fawcett was an Angel among us. Despite her brave, and widely publicized battle with anal cancer, she passed away on June 25, 2009. I remember the first time I saw her iconic red-bathing suit poster. I remember seeing the smile in her eyes and wondering if I be as happy as she looked when I grew up. Rest in peace, Farrah.
Remembered Joy
Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free!
I follow the plan God laid for me.
I saw His face, I heard His call,
I took His hand and left it all...
I could not stay another day,
To love, to laugh, to work or play;
Tasks left undone must stay that way.
And if my parting has left a void,
Then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss...
Ah yes, these things I, too, shall miss.
My life's been full, I've savoured much:
Good times, good friends, a loved-one's touch.
Perhaps my time seemed all too brief—
Don't shorten yours with undue grief.
Be not burdened with tears of sorrow,
Enjoy the sunshine of the morrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated!

Related Posts with Thumbnails